Thursday, October 2, 2008

Give Blood...or Milk

I don't give blood. It makes me pass out. Many situations involving needles make me pass out, or become faint, or cause me to need a washcloth on my for head. I once tried to give plasma, as a young collegian, and I didn't make it past the finger-stick. Which was before the blood draw. There wasn't even any blood but I ended up with a team of about 5-6 people in white coats around me getting me to a chair, fanning me, giving me water, juice, a cookie, and of course, a cold washcloth. Needless to say, you will NOT find me donating blood. Not ever people. Do I like that fact about myself? No, not one bit. I think it is a great idea to give blood. People need it. ALOT of people need it. But, I'm just simply no use in that category.

Luckily though, I have boobs...... and boy do they produce a lot of milk! I have been loving being a nursing mama and have no plans of weening my son anytime soon. Not only does it provide wonderful bonding time for us but it is the most nutritionally dense, best thing for my little peanut. By now, you may be wondering how this all fits in with blood donation. Really, it doesn't, but - I HAVE found another way to help- with my boobies!!!

Did you know that nursing mamas can DONATE their breast milk? It's called the International Breast Milk Project . Check out the site for more info but basically what you do is send your frozen breast milk to them. They use part of it for research, part of it for preemie babies in the NICU, and part of it for starving babies in Africa. Isn't that the coolest thing ever!!?? So, if you have extra breast milk sitting in your freezer, or if you think you could pump a little extra for sick little peanuts all over the world, please consider this project. Now, go forth and milk those boobies!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl!

Hailey Faith said...

If only I would have known this when I had Hailey, I was a milk machine! My milk came in the same day she was born and it didn't stop! LOL Thanks for sharing.
Ashley