Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Flood Waters

So, apparently we are having a flood again. It really seems like the previous flood was not just a year ago but maybe like a few months. And here we are again. Preparing for a massive flood. This year however, I am a bit aloof to it. Last year I was sucked in. This year I am not. Part of it probably has to do with the fact that this year our city is more prepared and partly because the mass chaos and confusion hasn't found me. Or I haven't found it.I rarely watch TV or check the papers. My hubby keeps me updated but it hasn't gripped me yet. It might. It probably should.

I don't mean to sound like I don't care about it because I do. I care very much for those who are near the river and facing this flood again. For those who are desperately building sandbags to protect their home. I care and I am praying.

But perhaps part of my apatheticness come from the fact that I am fighting my own Flood of a different kind. The waters of my flood have risen and have been threatening to overtake me for months now. This monster affiction of what is know finally known to be Reactive Arthritis has been beating against the shore of my physical body and my emotional body for months, sometimes wearing it away. Sometimes threatening a breach in the levy. Sometimes threatening a complete bursting of the waters into my life.

But just as my God continues to hold those waters back for me, I know he will do the same for this city. He has equipped people to be in my life to help build and sustain the dyke around the raging waters of my situation. Likewise, he is equipping people all over the city to do the same.This is a city that rises to the occasion. And better than that, our God always rises to the occasion.

Stay tuned and in the meantime, go over to my good friend, Heidi Smith's blog at Heidi Smith Photography Blog to check out the great documentary work she is doing on the 2010 Flood.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Hey Shannon- FOr a pick me up listen to the song "Praise you through the storm" by Casting Crowns. It really hits home, for me at least and I know it will do the same for you, i hope. Check it out and praise Him through your storm, or flood.
Love you!

Shannonheick said...

thanks Melis! i will listen to it-I Love that song and i'm so lucky to have a great friend in you! :)